Andrew Serban is a freelance photographer with over fifteen years' experience. He has worked on assignment for such clients as L'Oreal USA, The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, Getty Images, Reuters, Bloomberg News and The Associated Press. He has also been published in TIME, BusinessWeek, The Washington Post, The International Herald Tribune, Le Point, Der Spiegel and the Encyclopedia Britannica, among others. He shoots both film and digital.
Andrew Serban is also an emerging filmmaker and former Directing Fellow at the American Film Institute (AFI) Conservatory in Los Angeles. His feature script, WEST SIDE GIRL, was a Semifinalist in the 16th Annual Fade In Awards (sponsored by Fade In Magazine) and a Quarterfinalist in the 2012 BlueCat Screenwriting Competition. He has written and directed a number of independent shorts which have played at a variety of venues, including LA Shorts Fest, Cinequest, Kansas City FilmFest, the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, the Garden State Film Festival, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Foundation Short Film Showcase and the NY Short Buzz (at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe), among others. His short film, THE SACRED HEART, won the Best NYC Film Award at the NYC Downtown Short Film Festival in Manhattan. The screenplay for his new short, URANIA LEILUS, was a semifinalist in the BlueCat Short Screenwriting Competition in 2020.
He currently resides in Washington Heights, NYC
Videographer, Video Editor
Shot and edited promotional videos for the internet. Worked on assignment with Producer Carlo Montali.
Newspaper and Wire
Getty Images, NYC bureau
Contributed entertainment-oriented images to archive. Published in The New York Times, Rolling Stone (online), Encyclopedia Britannica and elsewhere around the world.
New York Post, NYC
Worked on assignment for photo editor Antoinette Campana. Photographed entertainment and culture in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Reuters, LA bureau
Worked on assignment for assignment editor Sam Mircovich, covering celebrity news in the Los Angeles area.
Bloomberg News, NYC bureau
Worked on assignment and on a regular basis with photo editors Claudia DiMartino and Daniel Acker, specializing in portraits of CEOs and other financially oriented subjects. Published in TIME, BusinessWeek, The International Herald Tribune, The New York Times, The Washington Post and elsewhere around the world.
The Chicago Tribune, NYC
Worked on asignment for assignment editor Meg Theno, covering features in the New York City metropolitan area. Published photo-essay on the Morris High School in the South Bronx.
Getty Images News Service, NYC bureau
Filled in for staff photographer Mario Tama; worked on assignment with domestic assignment editor Mish Coffey and entertainment photo editor Michael Williams, covering general news, features and entertainment news in metropolitan area. Published in TIME, LIFE and elsewhere.
The New York Times, NYC
Worked on assignment with weekend assignment editor Karen Cetinkaya, city picture editor Tiina Loite, and regional picture editor Jim Simpson, covering spot news and features in metropolitan area. Published two photo-essays in the City section, one on a young women's basketball league, the other on a group of veterans restoring vintage planes in Brooklyn, N.Y.; also published photo-essay on the George Washington Bridge Bus Station for the New Jersey section.
The Associated Press, NYC bureau
Worked on assignment, covering general, spot and feature news in metropolitan area.
Worked on assignment for Queens desk, covering general, spot and feature news in metropolitan area. Published two photo-essays, one on subway musicians, the other on radio-controlled model planes at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Agency and Magazine
ReflexNews Photo Agency, NYC
Worked on assignment for French, German and U.S. market. Published in Le Point, Capital, Le Nouvel Observateur, Le Parisien, Figaro, Figaro Daily, Focus Money; photographed entertainment features (clubs, bars, restaurants, celebrity portraits, etc.) for the New York Post and other publications.
Images.de Digital Photo GmbH, Berlin, Germany
Contributed hard news and feature photos to archive. Published in the German press.
VISUM +49 Photo Agency, Hamburg, Germany
Produced travel stock photos for publication in the German press.
Brooklyn Bridge magazine, Brooklyn, NYC
Worked on assignment with Editor Jan Hodenfield. Photographed cultural features in Brooklyn.
L'OREAL USA/REDKEN, NYC
- Freelance Photographer
- Contributed to Redken advertising campaign. Worked with Global Creative Designer Robert Efurd.
- Group Shows
- 80 Washington Square East Galleries, Small Works Show, juried by Jacquie Littlejohn of Littlejohn/Sternau Gallery, Feb.-March, 1995
- Viridian Gallery, Exhibition juried by Elisabeth Sussman, Curator, Whitney Museum of American Art, July, 1992
- Tacheles, Werkshau, Berlin, Germany, Sept. 1991
- Pleiades Gallery, Exhibition juried by April Kingsley, June, 1991.
- PDG Gallery, Group Show, April, 1991
- 80 Washington Square East Galleries, Small Works Show, juried by Brooke Alexander, Feb., 1991
- Sotheby's, God's Love We Deliver benefit auction, March, 1990
- Emerging Collector Gallery, Group Shows, Dec., 1989-Jan., 1990.
- American Film Institute (AFI) Conservatory, LA
- Directing Fellow. Studied screenwriting, film directing and visual structure with Frank Pierson, Bruce Block, Rob Spera, Seth Winston, Peter Markham and others. Directed three cycle (student) films.
- Downtown Community Television Center (DCTV), NYC
- Studied digital filmmaking (directing, cinematography, editing and sound design) with Rafael de la Uz and others.
- International Center of Photography (ICP), NYC
- Studied photojournalism and documentary photography with Joseph Rodriguez, Jeff Mermelstein, Harvey Stein and others.
- School of Visual Arts (SVA), NYC
- Studied studio photography with Len DeLessio and fashion photography with Luciana Pampalone.
- New York University (NYU) Graduate School of the Arts & Sciences/
- Dept. of Journalism, NYC
- Completed six-credit graduate course in writing and reporting with Rheta Blaney, former Baltimore Sun columnist.
- Columbia College/Columbia University, NYC
- BA in English; Dean's List; feature reporter for the Daily Spectator.
- Member, Film Independent (FIND)
- Member, Independent Feature Project (IFP/NY)
- Member, Downtown Community Television (DCTV)
- Member, National Press Photographers Association (NPPA).
- New York City Police Department Press Identification
- U.S. Dept. of State NY Foreign Press Center Credential
- United Nations Press Accreditation